Proper stowage and securing of cargo containers
The Club wish to draw to the attention of Members the recently issued Marine Notice 02/2022 on Proper stowage and securing of cargo containers, intended to remind “vessel owners, operators and masters of:
the importance of stowing and securing cargo containers in accordance with Chapter VI of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS) as amended and
the potential danger to container ships navigating in the vicinity of intense low-pressure systems that occur off the east coast of Australia
AMSA encourages ship owners and masters to familiarise themselves with the approved cargo securing manual for their vessel and Marine Order 42, which gives effect to Chapter VI of SOLAS in Australia”
The Club wish Members to note that Marine Notice 02/2022 highlights some of the factors that have been identified as contributing to recent container losses in Australian waters, and makes specific reference to AMSA’s recent focused inspection campaign on the proper stowage and securing of cargo containers. Marine Notice 02/2022 also advises that “Due to the risk to Australia’s marine environment AMSA will continue to direct additional focus on container stowage and securing arrangements during forthcoming port State control (PSC) inspections in Australia.
If, during a PSC inspection, evidence is found that:
- the weight distribution or stack weights are not in compliance with the approved Cargo Securing Manual or
- crew are unfamiliar with the approved Cargo Securing Manual or
- the securing arrangements are not in accordance with the approved Cargo Securing Manual (throughout the voyage) or
- the securing arrangements are not maintained or not in accordance with the approved Cargo Securing Manual or
- the Cargo Securing Manual does not adequately cover the cargo being carried,
AMSA will take the necessary steps to bring the ship into compliance.
Marine Notice 02/2022 supersedes Marine Notice 03/2018.
Other of Club articles and Risk Alerts on container stowage and securing include:
Preventing Container Losses - AMSA Maritime Safety Awareness Bulletin – Issue 13
RA 86 – Work safety – Container Cargo Operations
RA 74 – Containerised cargo – Stowage and Securing
Draft common circular on parametric rolling – Top tier report